Sunday, September 9, 2007

Sunday 9/9/07


I've been working on character designs today. This is a difficult process for me and I only feel that I can achieve a viable solution by hammering out many different versions until one makes sense. I've put aside the storyboarding phase for now, because I know I will need the four principle characters in the play, regardless of the shot order. I also think it's important to put ample time into the designs, because I will be working with them all year. A big part of this process has been in developing the mechanics of the puppets and how they will move. I constructed a hand with rotating joints in Maya to go through the motions of handling flat cut-outs in the 3-D software package. The more joints I built, the more shortcuts I came across, including an action script in photoshop to simplify the image "middle-man" as I like to think of it. It is still very tedious compared to working primarily in After Effects, but the animation rewards will outweigh the painful task of character set up.

No comments: