Sunday, September 16, 2007

New Direction

After a review with our faculty advisor, Christine Panushka, I decided to backtrack to where I began with the character designs. What was working were the simplified shapes and forms of earlier designs. The more I looked at references like classic actors, etc, the more realistic and rigid my designs became. I was frustrated and I felt like I was chasing my tail because this is an animated piece, it should not be so close to live-action. I started to play more with silhouettes and I looked again at frames from Lotte Reininger's masterpiece, "The Adventures of Prince Achmed." This film has a very sensual mood and this serves the story very well especially where the prince and princess are concerned. Instead of using pure black pieces, I dripped paint on wet drawing paper and let in dry in different fractal patterns. I scanned each piece at high-res and began to cut things out with my "digital scissors." So far this is what I have for Salome.

No comments: