Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Moving ON

With these character designs that I've done so far, I 've decide to move on and begin casting actors, finalizing the script and using these characters to block out each scene. To refine the timing and pacing, I need to record my actors.
The recent character design work has been very exciting. I think I'm discovering a look for the film. At this point, I will look between the traditional wayang kulit puppet theater of Java and the innovative film, City of God. My next move will be to develop style frames after filming my live elements, namely water, silk, fog, and dust. The scene from City of God where Lil Dice becomes Lil Ze was always the most interesting in the film for me. The Candamble priest is mystified through the lighting, the camera and the editing. The editing uses frequent punch-ins and defocusing to give the sequence and visceral feeling. I will focus on using warm tones for this film. At first, the terrace was going to be lit with the cool light of the moon, but after discovering the inspiring material mentioned above, I make my first film using the reds, yellows, blacks, and whites, with only sparing blues. Though I will need to do more detailing to the puppets before I assemble them in Maya, I am at a good place to leave the puppets for now while I work on other aspects of pre-production. Also, in my meeting with Prof. Sheila Sofian today, I realized that for a short film, including Herodias in the story just makes it much more complicated in confusing. She was more of an observer, but it was hard to develop her in tandem with Salome in such a short piece. I feel a weight has been lifted from me, because the script is simpler, yet I have to decide whether Salome is his stepdaughter or his real daughter, a decision which could greatly increase the degree of Herod's incest.
















1 comment:

alex said...

wow... stumbled onto this via keren's blog. very cool designs, dude. you'll have to show me. i have seen both vietnamese and indonesian puppets performed live and it can be amazing.