Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Character Design



As of today, I'm closer to finishing my first cut-out puppet of Salome. The reason this has taken so many days is because of the design. I have to create a puppet that is seductively attractive and can handle the drama of the play. This has taken me through version after version, looking at references, and painting and repainting. This stage of development has been incredibly time consuming. It's been two weeks since my last meeting with our faculty and I'm still working on these designs. Right now, Salome is semi-plantlike, but she is un-clothed. For clothing, I want to shoot thin silks backlit against a black screen and attach them to her body in layers. I want to capture the movement of the silk in slow motion. This may require me to shoot these elements on film to get true slow motion. This was my last thought before I went home last night. Today I hope to draw the design for Jokanaan's body.

No comments: