Friday, November 23, 2007

Sand Animation and Set Building

I have spent lots of time this semester brainstorming ways to build the set for Salome. I will use the techniques of sand animation combined with compositing techniques to build the sets for the film. For example, the terrace will have to be built and rebuilt from different angles, according to the storyboards. When you work with sand, it is usually under-lit when photographed. This turns the sand into a grainy silhouette. I had a break through when I realized I could composite the sand constructions into my scenes using my favorite compositing tool, the Luma Key. Sand will create the organic textures necessary for the atmosphere and look of the film. In addition, thematically the sand works because the story takes place near the desert. To enhance the sands, I used one light coming from one side of the sand to give the little mounds shape and form.
In terms of animation, using sand will provide some interesting challenges for certain things, but it will also work very well for scenes like the Head of Jokanaan turning to sand then into a locust swarm that consumes Salome, and then the whole palace.

No comments: