Friday, January 11, 2008

Digital Art

As I work on this project, I would like to identify some of the experiences of working in this medium. To those who see me sit all day in front of this blinding screen, it must be a mystery to them to understand how I can be making and experiencing art. Today I worked on the design of King Herod again, to make him more likable, and to finalize the design. My only references are in my head when I begin. I wish I had the time to sit outside and study a subject for each character. I wish I had the ability to render a face on to paper. Instead, I looked through art books for basic shapes and tried to create the character in my mind, concentrating on him during exercise to keep him in my head. I open up the software and ready my hand at the mouse. I always try to picture myself holding a pair of scissors as I start working. As I click points, I'm cutting shapes from the black paper. The computer is not immediate, but there are some aspects of the process that are very enjoyable and produce great results. In working with the roto-masks, I start with with the hard edged shape and place everything to try to complete the image I have in my head. As I close in on it, I change the points of the various masks to bezier curves and begin to shape each part of the cut out puppet. This is where the process becomes lively, instinctive, and fun. Sculpting the roto-masks and cutting holes in the paper produces the silhouettes and the style that I am pursuing for Salome. I never thought that clicking a mouse would allow you to get into the zone of creativity, but its happening for me. The important part is that I can use the textured paper and see the beautiful patterns to cut. I will continue to right about this experience but I'm not sure if I'm articulating it very well. Thanks for reading if you got through this.

No comments: